The eyes are often considered the most prominent features of the face. They help define our aesthetic identities and balance our facial structures. They are commonly coined “the windows to the soul” and help to tell our history and convey the deepest emotions.
However, as we age, the skin around our eyes can be the first to show signs of aging making people feel less like themselves and less confident. If you are searching for a safe, convenient solution to loose, drooping eyelids and the vision problems associated with excess skin around the eyes, we are proud to offer eyelid surgery as a cosmetic solution.
What is eyelid surgery?
Eyelid surgery can be performed on either the upper or lower eyelids, or both if necessary depending on your condition. Though it can be used as a cosmetic improvement, eyelid surgery can also help to restore eyesight if vision problems occur due to excess skin around your eyes. It is a great treatment option for a variety of conditions such as:
- Bags under the eyes
- Loose or sagging skin around the eyes
- Vision impairment due to loose or sagging skin around the eyes
- Fatty deposits that cause the eyelids to appear “puffy”
- Fine wrinkles and loose skin around the lower eyelids
Am I a candidate for eyelid surgery?
Not everyone is a candidate for eyelid surgery. Just like with any other surgical procedure, you will need to be evaluated prior to scheduling eyelid surgery to determine if this is the best treatment option for you. While aging and loss of elasticity may be the source of your vision impairment, there may also be other underlying issues that could call for a different type of treatment.
Some of the factors we take into consideration when determining if a patient is a candidate for eyelid surgery include:
- Overall health- We want our patients to be in tip-top shape before undergoing any surgical treatment. Any conditions that might hinder or impair the healing process could be a cause for concern.
- Psychiatric condition- Any alteration to the face can be a huge adjustment. Any outstanding psychiatric conditions that might make recovery more difficult may need to be discussed further with your surgeon and a counselor before scheduling surgery.
- Lifestyle habits -Whether or not the patient is a smoker or excessive drinker as this may affect your ability to heal after surgery.
- Strong Support System – Recovery from eyelid surgery can be difficult and we don’t want our patients to do it alone.
- Medical History – It is important for us to ensure that you do not have a previous or current medical condition that could become more problematic after surgery or that could interfere with the success of eyelid surgery.
As every patient is unique, it is important to remember that one treatment plan may not work for every patient. If you are not a candidate for eyelid surgery, talk to one of our specialists to see what other treatment options might be available to you.
While eyelid surgery in itself isn’t an extensive procedure, the follow-up care is crucial to its success and can be a bit lengthy. If you are interested in receiving eyelid surgery, you will need to make the commitment ahead of time to maintaining at-home care post-operation. This will help reduce your risks of getting an infection and improve your overall outcome and healing process.
Patients have been known to experience bruising, watery eyes, light sensitivity, and swelling amongst other post-operative symptoms, so plan for someone to stay with you in the days following your surgery to help you as your eyelids heal.
Wearing sunglasses and applying cold compresses to the surgery site are recommended to help keep these symptoms at bay. Avoid taking any medications that are associated with increased bleeding such as ibuprofen, and instead only use those medications prescribed and/or approved by your surgeon.
If you experience shortness of breath, vision problems, bleeding, severe pain, or chest pain after your surgery, seek medical attention immediately.
For more information on eyelid surgery and how we can help you look and feel your best, contact Skin Deep today.